Thursday, March 6, 2008

Singin' in the Rain (1952)


American Film Institute's Top 100 Films: No. 5

Well, I can't make love to a bush! - Lina Lamont

As a big fan of musicals, the charm and innocence of this movie quickly caught my attention. Again, looking beyond the kind of hokey humor that comes with an older movie, I thought the film was fantastic. Perhaps not my favorite musical, but it did contain all the classical elements that make song-and-dance movies so fun.

The supporting characters again made me laugh throughout the show, especially Donald O'Connor as Cosmo and Jean Hagen as Lina. Debbie Reynolds I was not especially impressed with. Although she was only 19 at the time of filming, she seemed kind of a bland character. Although she started out with a bit of spunk, by the end of the movie she lost her draw.

The dance sequences were great fun, with the exception of the Broadway one, which was confusing and a bit difficult to follow. Interestingly enough, the songs used in the production were selected prior to the story being composed, so writers had to find ways to fit in the songs. This might explain why the Broadway number is so long and all over the place. Yet above it all was Gene Kelly and O'Connor's dancing. In my opinion all men should tap dance. Ok, not all.... but many. I don't think they realize how exciting it is to watch or how good they look doing it. Kelly's routine to the title song and O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh" were fast-paced and fun. Any guy that is willing to tap around in purple pants gets my vote!

3.5 stars out of 5

1 comment:

PaxDonnaVerde said...

My all time favorite happy movie. Gene Kelly made it look effortless even though I know he was an absolute perfectionist. To this day I dance to the tune of the signature song whenever it rains here in drought-ridden California.

I thought that Usher did a great re-make of it on the 100 Greatest Films Awards show. A very talented guy.