Sunday, March 30, 2008

No Country For Old Men (2007)

Academy Award for Best Picture, 2008

You know what the date is on this coin? 1958. It's been traveling 22 years to get here, and now it's here. And it's either heads or tails, and you have to say. Call it. - Anton Chigurh

Easily one of the best movies I've seen this year, it's only fitting it took home the Oscar for best picture. More importantly, Javier Bardem's character, Anton Chigurh, is one of the scariest movie villains I have seen in a long time.

The movie is set in Texas, and despite it's somewhat slow-moving style, the film itself is anything but slow. The action keeps coming at a quick and efficient pace and even just watching the movie you feel as though Bardem is just behind you. Even more creepy is the lack of musical scoring to the film. Without any kind of background music, simply sound effects, it almost makes the movie seem more realistic.

Although I have not read the book from which the film was based, reviews say it very accurately depicted from the movie, and the finial speech given by Tommy Lee Jones is lifted directly from the novel. While I thought the ending was abrupt, it was nonetheless an outstanding creepy movie. Next time I see an air tank I'll get a shiver.

Lara Says: Good movie... very nerve racking and kept me on the edge of my seat. What a freak show (Bardem) was.

4.5 stars out of 5


No comments: