Thursday, March 6, 2008

Casablanca (1942)


American Film Institute's Top 100 Movies: No. 3
Academy Award for Best Picture, 1942

We musn't underestimate American blundering. I was with them when they blundered into Berlin in 1918. - Captain Renault 

Aside from the slight cheesiness that generally accompanies older films, easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. Ingrid Bergman (Illsa) and Humphrey Bogart (Rick) play off each other, in my opinion, wonderfully. It was refreshing to watch a romance that was so sensual instead of sexual, like today's industry standard.

On that note, it truly was the actors in the film who made it so enjoyable. Although their chemistry was good, Bogart's acting did not seem to be out of this world. He was rigid and emotionless and while that was his character, it still seemed rather uptight. The secondary characters are what I found to be the most amusing. Claude Rains, who played Captain Renault was by far the most entertaining. Throughout the movie his snide little remarks made me laugh, and his constant scheming and (attempted) womanizing. In a way he reminded me of George Costanza of Seinfeld fame.

Likewise, Dooley Wilson who played Sam was a fun character. During his piano playing scenes his expressions were amusing. The flamboyant pickpocket whom we see at the beginning and then briefly again in the middle of the film also made me laugh. However, Peter Lorre, Ugaret, was by far my favorite character to watch. Not that his acting was especially wonderful, but the fact that he resembled Yoda, with the round head and big eyes. I kept expecting him to tell Rick to let the force be with him or something of the like. In the end, a great movie with comedy, love, action and even Nazis.

5 stars out of 5

No comments: