Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King (2003)

Academy Award for Best Picture, 2004

My friends, you bow to no one. - Aragorn

Ok, I'll admit it.... I've never read the book. Not just the last book, but any of them. I made it half way through The Fellowship of The Ring, but was more than confused as to what was going on. Needless to say, I am a HUGE fan of the movie franchise and own all three.

Naturally, as the last in a series of three movies, this is by far the most climactic. I could easily go on for hours about how much I enjoyed it, the story line, the acting, the 1,400 plus special effects. Instead, I'll talk a little bit about what I enjoyed most: the soundtrack.

Howard Shore composed the tracks to all three movies, and makes every last aspect seem that much more real and exciting. Born in Toronto, Shore studied music at Berklee College of Music in Boston, moving on to spend five years as musical director for Saturday Night Live. In addition to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Shore has also composed music for The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Panic Room, Crash, The Departed and The Aviator. He is without a doubt one of my most favored contemporary composers. In 2004, he combined the themes to all three movies and performed them at different venues across the country.

Fantastic movie, even better soundtrack.

5 stars out of 5

No comments: