Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Graduate (1967)

American Film Institute's Top 1oo Films: No. 17

Are you here for an affair, sir? Hotel Clerk

This movie was not at all what I anticipated, but in the end I still ended up enjoying the film. Although I had the general gist of what was going on, I thought Benjamin (Dustin Hoffman, who was perfect in the role) was already dating Elaine (Katharine Ross) when the affair with Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft began). However, the movie was quite the opposite, so to start out in the beginning with the affair was different from what I was expecting, but still enjoyable.

One thing I noticed while watching were the constant subtle references to women and sex, something imdb.com called "womb imagery." Benjamin constantly wants to stay in his parents swimming pool, there are close up shots of women's hips and the most obvious returning to the womb of the older Mrs. Robinson.

Another aspect of the film I enjoyed was the soundtrack, done completely by Simon & Garfunkle. I have known of the more or less title track, Mrs. Robinson, for many years, but again didn't realize the duo completed the entire soundtrack for the movie. I found that most enjoyable, and thought the light, easy songs of the 60s help set the atmosphere for Ben's post-graduate struggle into adulthood.

4 stars out of 5

No comments: