Sunday, May 11, 2008

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)

American Film Institute's Top 100 Films, No. 25

Don't say "hey" to me you ugly girl! Mrs. Dubose

To this day, Harper Lee's novel remains one of my most favorite books. Likewise, this version of the story is the best I have ever seen - regardless of how many theatre renditions of the story I will see, nothing will ever top this movie.

Gregory Peck's performance as Atticus Finch is without a doubt one of my favorite of all time. He portrayed the character with such grace and perfection, it has been said Harper Lee cried on the set of the movie watching Peck act because he was so dead-on in his take of the character. Over time, the movie has become somewhat dated, but not so much that is no longer enjoyable. 

Children actors tend to be hit or miss with movies, but the younger Finch's and neighbor Dill are an entertaining bunch. I would highly recommend a viewing of the movie to anyone who has ever read the books - and if you haven't read the book, shame on you!

4.5 stars out of 5

No comments: