Monday, May 26, 2008

Iron Man (2008)

Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing. Tony Stark

A movie full of missiles, explosions, guns, terrorists and tons of electric guitar music is a far cry from the black and white movies I've been seeing in bulk lately. 

Considering I am not a huge fan of Robert Downey, Jr., I did not have very high expectations for this movie, but was pleasantly surprised. Always a fan of the superhero flicks, Iron Man did not disappoint in the action department. Having no prior knowledge of the comic book, I also found the story line entertaining. One thing I really like was the modernization of the story. In the comic, Iron Man takes place during the Vietnam War and he has a butler named Jarvis. For the movie, the story takes place today, during the Iraq War, and his home is equipped with an A.I. butler named Jarvis.

Overall, an enjoyable movie with decent performances by everyone. Not one of my favorites, but far superior than what I anticipated. Anyone interested in a visually-stimulating movie with very patriotic undertones should take in a viewing.

3.5 stars out of 5


2 comments:

NickDean said...

Not enough of Downey in the suit. And how can you not be a Robert Downey, Jr. fan? I'm going to go home and watch "Less Than Zero" followed by "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"...


Anyway,it ended in that way that the second "Matrix" movie and some of the X-Men movies ended... Very abruptly. As soon as the credits for "Iron Man" started to roll, I wanted the sequel. Or at least some more scenes of the suit flying around.

Jessye said...

Well, did you stay through until the end to see that little "preview"? It appears a sequel is on the way.

And I agree - more of him in his suit was needed. This made me anticipate The Dark Knight even more :o)